2004-08-10.dbg.2: Annual meeting board member elections
August 10th, 2004
The following resolution was approved by the Board of Directors of SPI on August 10th, 2004.
This resolution supercedes 2004-06-01.dbg.2.
- Whereas members of the board of directors' terms expire at the end of 3 years;
- Whereas expired board members do not need to leave the board until their replacements are appointed;
- Whereas the number of members of the board is a variable between 8 and 12;
- Whereas days end at 23:59:59 UTC and start at 00:00:00 UTC for the purposes of this resolution.
The board resolves that
- At every annual meeting an election will be launched to replace all members of the board of directors, regardless of their roles, including officers, who have sat without re-election for at least 3 years at the conclusion of the election period;
- Board members who step down prior to their replacements being selected need not be replaced unless the total number of board members falls below 8;
- The elections shall take place over 4 weeks:
- From the start of July 1 to the end of July 13 of every year, nominations will be open and anyone may enter the race for a seat that is available.
- Nominations may be submitted by or on behalf of candidates, and must include a statement of the positions of the candidate and be endorsed by the candidate.
- From July 15 to the end of July 28 all contributing members may enter their vote using the Condorcet system used in previous elections.
- On July 29th, the results will be announced by the current secretary, or a member of the Board not seeking reelection in the event that secretary is seeking reelection.
- In the event that the number of candidates does not exceed the number of seats available, all candidates shall become board members immediately upon termination of the nomination period;
- New board member seats take effect immediately upon the announcements of results, notwithstanding any vote quorum requirements;
- The board may add interim members at any time to its number provided that the limit of 12 board members is not exceeded. Any such interim board members will be subject to the next scheduled election as per this resolution, regardless of the time such members have served on the board;
- The board shall elect from among its ranks all officers at the first Board meeting following the election by a method agreed upon by board members present.