Open Bioinformatics Foundation
The Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF) is a non-profit, volunteer-run group dedicated to promoting the practice and philosophy of Open Source software development and Open Science within the biological research community. OBF functions as an umbrella organization for its member projects, which include the Bio* projects, some of the most widely used open-source programming toolkits in bioinformatics.
Their main activities include the following:
- Running and supporting the BOSC conferences.
- Organizing and supporting developer-centric "Hackathon" events.
- Participating in the Google Summer of Code program on behalf of our member projects as an umbrella mentoring organization.
- Managing servers, hosting facilities, funds, domain names, and other assets for the benefit of our member projects.
- Public opinion and policy statements about matters related to Open Source and Open Science in bioinformatics.
- Accepting donations
- Holding assets
- Underwriting events