This is the proposed agenda for the Board meeting of April 18th, 2006, to be held at 19:00 UTC in #spi on irc.spi-inc.org.

  1. Opening
  2. Roll call
  3. President's report (John Goerzen)
  4. Treasurer's report (Jimmy Kaplowitz)
  5. Outstanding minutes
    1. AGM: July 1st, 2005
    2. July 26th, 2005
    3. August 16th, 2005
    4. October 4th, 2005
    5. October 18th, 2005
    6. November 15th, 2005
  6. Items up for discussion:
    1. Resolution 2006-04-03.jfsp.1 (See below)
    2. Tax filing and book keeping status - filing for 2006? (Jimmy)
    3. Appendix items (Josh Berkus)
  7. Next board meeting: Tuesday, May 16th, 2006 (John Goerzen)

Treasurer's Report

Software in the Public Interest Financial Data

This report uses a cash-based method of accounting,
recording donations when deposited (not when the check was
written or received by us) and recording expenses when sent
or scheduled for payment (not when incurred). Network for
Good processing fees are no longer listed, both to avoid
confusion and since they are already subtracted out from our
check before we ever receive it.

Profit/Loss December 1 2005 - December 31 2005

   Ordinary Income/Expense

      Total Income                                     0.00[1]

        MIPS machine hard drives (Debian earmark)   (228.94)
        Debian trademark filing fee (Debian earmark)(300.00)
        Oldenburg summit travel (Debian earmark)  (2,308.40)
        Copying expenses (SPI earmark)                (0.68)[2]
      Total Expense                               (2,838.02)

   Net Ordinary Income                            (2,838.02)

   Net Income                                     (2,838.02)

Balance Sheet as of December 31, 2005

     Current Assets
        First IB Checking
          Known Debian Earmark (non-DebConf5)      1,301.09
          Known DebConf5 Earmark                  13,258.30
          Known GNOME Earmark                         20.00
          Known GNU TeXmacs Earmark                    9.70
          Known Unrestricted Earmark                 574.86
          Earmark to be Determined                12,258.78
        Total First IB Checking                   27,422.73

        Ameriprise Financial Acct
          Earmark to be Determined                40,393.26
        Total Ameriprise Financial Acct           40,393.26

     Total Current Assets                         67,815.99

   TOTAL ASSETS                                   67,815.99

        Retained Earnings                         70,654.01
        Net Income                                (2,838.02)
     Total Equity                                 67,815.99

   TOTAL LIABILITIES & EQUITY                     67,815.99

- Jimmy Kaplowitz, SPI Treasurer

[1] Again, keep in mind that the lack of donations listed only means we did
not deposit any donations in December, not that we received none. Reread the
first paragraph of this report if this is unclear. Branden deposited these
donations in February, I've been told.

[2] Branden's BANK: mail about this said $0.64, but the online bank record
says $0.68.



1. The Debian trademark in Spain is currently held by Jesus Martinez which
  has no association with either the Debian project or SPI Inc.

2. The SPI trademark committee wants to register the Debian trademark EU-wide
  and any registration in an EU country will stall the process

3. Mr. Martinez has been contacted by the "Debian Spain" association and
  by Javier de la Cueva and has rejected to transfer the trademark over to
  SPI unless the following terms are met:
      * Deletion of all Internet web pages with prior references to
        Mr. Martínez trademark appropriation.
      * Payment of 3,000 Euros as a fee for having made the defense of
        the trademark and the costs.
      * SPI letter granting him the rights to use perennially the trademark

4. The SPI Board considers the transfer term unacceptable.


5. SPI will initiate legal actions against Mr. Martinez.

6. SPI will provide a notarized and apostilled Power of Attorney to
  the Spanish lawyer Javier de la Cueva, who will act in a Pro Bono basis,
  and will litigate on behalf of SPI.

7. SPI will provide certificates of the trademark registry and any other
  relevant documents to Javier de la Cueva needed to provide
  documentary evidences necessary to defend the case.

Discussion appendix

-- PostgreSQL Conference arrangements: some of the stuff that we need to do
for the conference requires SPI Board approval (such as insurance).  Need to
discuss and vote.

-- New methods for online donations and payments, per Jimmy.

-- New website for SPI?  I've noticed that SPI seems to have trouble keeping
the web site up to date.  I think that using a community website CMS, such as
Framewerk, Drupal, etc. would help with this enormously.  Depending on the
technology employed, the PostgreSQL project would be happy to install and
host something.